Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Syd Hardin

An American Artist from Somerville, MA
Today I have a lady with a fierce concept and fantastic way of presenting it. I'm not sure if I've actually seen anything like her work around before, I'm actually a little afraid of talking about the idea to much as I have her personal statement which perfectly describes what she does. What I will say is the composition and story within each piece is wonderfully structured and I'm in love with her visual style. Its pop like quality combined with a darker more questioning undertone hits my spot. I hope it hits yours to.


Now I'll let Syd explain in more detail what its about.....


Now for the substance: I'm the first to admit that I really don't understand the relationship between my gender and the erotic within the popular media. Why does the popular media stunt the erotic range of women, churning out overly simplified representations of female sexuality aimed at male and female consumers alike? Why can women appear only as vessels for our cultural fantasies - whether unnaturally pure or intensely impure? These remarkably one-dimensional representations of my own sexual identity make me want to guffaw and scream in almost equal measure. In retaliation, my work takes this marketing of female sexual identity to what I perceive as its logical extremes. These are my interpretations - both sinister and humorous - of the eroticized chimeras to which some look for inspiration, and others look for titillation

Drill Baby, Drill!
"Drill Baby, Drill! (my deflated hopes for the first female president)"
All American Girl
"All American Girl"

Birth of the Inflatable Love Doll
Birth of the Inflatable Love Doll

Thor
"Thor" - finished! 

Inflatable Love Doll Descending a Staircase
Inflatable Love Doll Descending a Staircase

Websites:



1 comment:

  1. Hola vengo desde mis blog:"LOS CUENTOS DE NATI" y "LOS PREMIOS DE NATI"
    para decirte que todo lo que he podido ver aquí es muy bueno e interesante.
    He decidido quedarme como seguidora para así poder con tranquilidad todo lo bueno que pase por aquí.
    Te felicito por tu blog, por lo que has conseguido y por lo que estoy segura consegiras.
    Hasta npronto, tu ya sabes donde encontrarme, besos Nati.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...